Edwin G. Foulke Jr.
Ed Foulke is a partner in the Atlanta office and the Washington, D.C. Metro office located in Arlington, Virginia. He is the former co-chair of the firm's Workplace Safety and Catastrophe Management Practice Group. He is also the President of Fisher Phillips Safety Solutions, LLC.
Prior to joining Fisher Phillips, Ed was the Assistant Secretary of Labor for Occupational Safety and Health. Named by President George W. Bush to head the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), he served from April 2006 to November 2008. During his tenure at OSHA, workplace injury, illness and fatality rates dropped to their lowest levels in recorded history.
For more than 30 years, Ed has worked in the labor and employment area, focusing on occupational safety and health issues, workplace violence risk assessment and prevention, whistleblower protection, and accident and fatality prevention. He is recognized as one of the nation’s leading authorities on occupational safety and health and is a frequent keynote speaker and lecturer on workplace safety, leadership development, and other labor and employment topics.
Ed has testified before the U.S. Senate and U.S. House Congressional Committees on occupational safety and health issues.
He also served on the OSHA Review Commission in Washington, D.C., chairing the Commission from March 1990 to February 1994. Ed is the only person in the United States to serve as both head of OSHA and Chairman of the Review Commission. Ed was named one of the "50 Most Influential EHS Leaders" by both EHS Today (2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013) and Occupational Hazards (2008) magazines.
Ed currently serves on the EHS Today Safety Leadership Board of Directors and on safety committees for the Associated Builders and Contractors, the Georgia Association of Manufacturers, the U.S. Poultry Association, the Solid Waste Association of North America, the National Association of Tower Erectors, and the American Foundry Association.
He is "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell. Ed is also co-editor of the firm's Workplace Safety and Health Law Blog.
Honors & Leadership
- Member, Associated Builders & Contractors, Inc.- Safety Committee
- Member, EHS Today Safety Leadership Board of Directors
- Member, Georgia Association of Manufacturers – Safety Committee
- Member, Safety Committee, American Foundry Association
- Member, Safety Committee, United States Poultry Association
- Member, Safety Committee, Natural Association of Tower Erectors
- Member, Knights of Malta
- Member, Knights of Columbus
- Member, Sons of the American Revolution
- Member, National Republican Lawyers Association
- Member, SHRM
- Co-Chair of Workplace Safety and Catastrophe Management Practice Comments on OSHA’s Planned Electronic Record-Keeping Rule Change8.1.18
- ISO 45001 is an important new safety & health management system3.12.18
- Feedspot recognizes Fisher Phillips for contributing to workplace health and safety11.9.17
- Is He The Next One? What To Do If You Think The Person Sitting In A Cubicle Near You Could Be The Next Aaron Alexis9.20.13
- Two Fisher Phillips Attorneys Named Among 50 Most Influential Occupational Safety, Health, Environment and Risk Management Leaders6.5.13
- Former Assistant Secretary Edwin G. Foulke, Jr. Joins Labor and Employment Firm's Workplace Safety and Catastrophe Management Practice Group11.10.08
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems - Understanding & Implementing the StandardOctober 15-16, 2020
- ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems - Understanding & Implementing the StandardJuly 23-24, 2020
- Fisher Phillips Safety SolutionsNovember 14 – 15, 2019
- Building a World-Class Safety ProgramNovember 5-7, 2019
- ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems - Understanding & Implementing the StandardJuly 8-9, 2019
- March 28-29, 2019
- Jan. 15, 2019 and Jan. 16, 2019
- WebinarMultiple Dates
- Discover the Key Elements of a World-Class Safety ProgramNovember 6-8, 2018
- Discover the Key Elements of a World-Class Safety ProgramNovember 28-30, 2017
- November 7 - 8, 2017
- Webinar Series2.23.17
- WebinarJan. 24, 2017 and Jan. 26, 2017
- One Day, Many Solutions Atlanta3.22.16
- Effectively Handling an Enforcement Driven OSHA While Achieving Operational Excellence and Profitability Through Safety – Las Vegas, NV5.2.11
"What Are the Economic Benefits of Safety and Health in the Workplace? "
Webinar for BLR
- OSHA Inspections: Asserting Legal Rights While Minimizing Exposure to Citations and Penalties – Part I12.2.14
- Thirteen Strategies Every Employer Should Implement To Improve Safety, Reduce OSHA Penalty Exposure, And Improve Company Profits While Protecting Its Reputation/Brand6.3.10
- New Pandemic Threat: Employers Should Review Policies and Employee Benefits4.27.09
"5 Things Employers Can Do to Effectively Manage Their Safety and Health Compliance Program"
Corporate Compliance Insights
American Chamber of Commerce – Safety and Health Manual
- Workplace Safety and Health Law Blog11.5.19
- Workplace Safety and Health Law Blog10.14.19
- Workplace Safety and Health Law Blog10.11.19
- Workplace Safety and Health Law Blog10.3.19
- Workplace Safety and Health Law Blog6.29.18
- America’s Opioid Epidemic and the Workplace: Should Employers Change Their Approach to Drug Testing?Workplace Safety and Health Law Blog7.31.17
- Workplace Safety and Health Law Blog11.29.16
- Workplace Safety and Health Law Blog5.12.16
- Workplace Safety and Health Law Blog8.26.15
- Workplace Safety and Health Law Blog8.20.15
- Workplace Safety and Health Law Blog1.14.14
- Workplace Safety and Health Law Blog6.17.13
- Whistleblower Actions
- Compliance Audits and Counseling
- Employment Policies and Procedures
- Prevention and Compliance Programs
- Supervisor Training
- Construction Safety
- Workplace Fatality and Catastrophe Response
- Safety Compliance
- Government Relations
- Automotive Manufacturing
- Workplace Safety and Catastrophe Management
- Georgetown UniversityLL.M. 1993 (Labor Law)
- Loyola University New Orleans School of LawJ.D. 1978
- North Carolina State UniversityB.A. 1974, with honors
- District of Columbia
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court