Cathy M. Stutin
Cathy Stutin is a partner in the firm's Fort Lauderdale office. She represents employers throughout the United States in state and federal courts, as well as before the U.S. Department of Labor (USDOL), the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and other state and federal agencies.
In her 25 years of practice in management-side labor and employment law, Cathy has tried cases involving claims for sexual harassment, race, religious and disability discrimination, retaliation, and Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) violations. In addition to civil litigation, Cathy handles arbitrations, restrictive covenant injunctions, appellate proceedings, and collective actions under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and the Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Worker Protection Act (MSPA).
A significant portion of her practice is also devoted to the implementation of preventive employee relations programs that include supervisory training and the development and administration of effective human resources policies and practices.
Cathy was an Articles and Comments Editor for the University of Miami Law Review. She is the author of Comment, Arbitration and Selective Discipline of Union Officials After Metropolitan Edison, 44 U. Miami L. Rev. 443 (1989), and was selected by the National Association of Women Lawyers to receive the Outstanding Woman Law Student Award at the University of Miami.
Cathy is "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell. She was recognized as a South Florida Top Lawyer by South Florida Legal Guide, has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America since 2008, and selected for inclusion in Florida Super Lawyers since 2010. She was also included in the 2012 edition of South Florida's Top Rated Lawyers, presented by Legal Leaders.
Cathy Stutin was recognized in the 2014 edition of the South Florida Legal Guide as one of the “Top Lawyers” in South Florida.
- Jenkins v. National Waterworks, Inc., 502 Fed.Appx. 830 (11th Cir. 12-20-2012)
- Hilb Rogal v. Grimmel, 48 So.3d 957 (Fla. App. 2010)
- Albra v. Advan, 490 F.3d 826 (11th Cir. 2007)
- Perez-Albela v. Hilb, Rogal & Hamilton of South Florida, 922 So.2d 222 (Fla. App. 2005)
- Musnick v. King Motor Co. of Fort Lauderdale, 325 F.3d 1255 (11th Cir. 2003)
- Boyd v. IKON Office Solutions, Inc., 743 So.2d 1152 (Fla. App. 1999)
- Grasso v. Massey-Yardley, Inc., 708 So.2d 688 (Fla. App. 1998)
- Faragher v. City of Boca Raton, 864 F. Supp. 1552 (S.D.Fla. 1994)
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (2011 – 2021)
- Recognized as a South Florida Top Lawyer by South Florida Legal Guide
- Selected for inclusion in Florida Super Lawyers since 2010
- Included in the 2012 edition of South Florida's Top Rated Lawyers, presented by Legal Leaders.
Cathy is a member of the American Bar Association (ABA), as well as a member of the Labor and Employment Law Section of the Florida Bar, where she served on the Executive Council from 1997 through 2004. Cathy was also the editor of the Labor and Employment Law Section's newsletter from 1995 through 1998.
- More Than A Quarter of the Firm’s Attorneys Recognized in 2021 Edition8.20.20
- Fisher Phillips Named Top South Florida Law Firm, Four Firm Attorneys Named in 2017 Edition of South Florida Legal Guide1.30.17
- Fisher Phillips Named Top South Florida Law Firm, Five Firm Attorneys Named in 2013 Edition of South Florida Legal Guide1.11.13
- Six Firm Attorneys Named in 10th Edition of South Florida Legal Guide9.23.09
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Fisher Phillips Fort Lauderdale Breakfast Briefing3.23.18
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog2.4.16
- Employment Privacy Blog2.4.16
- University of Miami School of LawJ.D. 1990, magna cum laude
- Florida Atlantic UniversityB.A. 1987, summa cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida