Clarence M. Belnavis
Clarence Belnavis is a partner in the Portland and Seattle offices. He is a trial attorney with a primary emphasis in employment litigation, including disability, racial and gender discrimination, retaliation, sexual harassment, and wrongful discharge. He also represents employers in wage and hour claims, employment class actions, and traditional labor matters.
Clarence also has significant experience counseling clients with respect to labor and employment matters, including disability and return to work issues, employee handbooks, termination procedures and litigation avoidance.
Clarence routinely provides client trainings and speeches to industry groups regarding current and developing employment law issues in Washington and Oregon.
He has been listed in Chambers USA, America's Leading Business Lawyers since 2006 and The Best Lawyers in America since 2009. He has also been named one of Portland's "Top 40 Under 40" by the Portland Business Journal, and he has been repeatedly recognized in Oregon Super Lawyers for his work in labor and employment law. He currently serves on the board of Big Brothers Big Sisters, Columbia Northwest.
In 2011, Clarence was honored as a "Convocation on Equality Champion" in recognition of the diversity work that he has been engaged in during his career.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Oregon Super Lawyers (2006 - 2008, 2012 - 2017)
- Chambers USA (2006 - Present)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2009 - Present)
- President, Oregon Chapter of the National Bar Association
- President, Association of Oregon Black Lawyers
- Member, Owen M. Panner Chapter of the American Inns of Court
- Former Coach, Jefferson High School (Portland, OR) Mock Trial Team
- Board Member, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Columbia Northwest
- Leading Lawyers Honored for their Achievements in Employment & Labor Law7.11.17
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.30.17
- Mitch Baker, Clarence Belnavis, Todd Lyon and Richard Meneghello Honored in Super Lawyers, Laura Jordan and Alexander Wheatley in Rising Stars7.8.15
- Labor & Employment Firm Off to Strong Start with Local Attorneys6.1.15
- Clarence Belnavis, Corbett Gordon and Rich Meneghello Honored in Super Lawyers, Laura Jordan and Erin Sweeney as Rising Stars7.10.12
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Portland Annual Seminar7.19.16
- Seattle Labor Seminar6.28.16
- 2014 Northwest Auto Dealers Seminar: "Top Employment Law Issues for Northwest Dealerships" and "Workforce Compliance - Ask the Experts Panel" - Compli and Geffen Mesher & Co.
- "Prescription Drug Policies: The Good, the Bad, and the Works in Progress" - Portland Employer Drug-Free Initiative
- "What to Do When your Own Employees are Sick" - Portland, OR
- "The Nuts and Bolts of Wage and Hour Law" - Labor and Employment Section of the Oregon Bar
- "VEVRAA Rule Changes/New Legal Challenges" - Portland, OR
- "Learning the Ropes/Employment Law and Conscientious Communication"
- "Hiring Employees You Won't Want to Fire" - Portland, OR
- "Learning the Ropes/Employment Law and Conscientious Communication" - Professional Liability Fund
- "Top Ten Employment Issues for Dealerships" - Compli and Geffen Mesher & Co.
- "Labor Laws" - Subway Managers and Franchisees
- Howard University School of LawJ.D. 1994
- Florida Atlantic UniversityB.A. 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington