Benton N. Wood
Benton Wood is a partner in the firm's Orlando office. He represents private and public sector employers in all aspects of employment and labor law.
Benton specializes in employment law litigation and has litigated a multitude of employment-related claims on behalf of management, including: sex discrimination, race discrimination, age discrimination, national origin discrimination, disability discrimination, unlawful retaliation, Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) violations, Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) violations, Equal Pay Act (EPA) violations, Whistle-blower retaliation, workers' compensation retaliation, civil rights violations (including violations of the 1st, 4th and 14th Amendments to the U.S. Constitution), unpaid wage violations, breach of employment contracts, breach of settlement agreements, defamation, invasion of privacy, assault, battery, false imprisonment, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and negligent hiring.
Benton also has extensive experience representing public and private sector employers throughout Central Florida in employment arbitrations conducted under the rules of the American Arbitration Association (AAA), the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service (FMCS), the National Association of Securities Dealers (NASD) and the Florida Arbitration Code.
Benton represents management in other labor matters, including labor negotiations, impasse proceedings and unfair labor practice litigation with the State of Florida Public Employees Relations Commission (PERC).
Benton has been lead counsel in approximately 50 jury trials, approximately 75 labor arbitrations, more than 100 non-jury/bench trials and approximately 50 appeals.
- Kemp v. Volusia County, et. al, 764 So.2d 770 (Fla. 5th DCA 2000) (prevailed on appeal post-trial)
- Bailey v. Volusia County, 221 F.3d 1355 (11th Cir. 2000) (summary judgment in favor of employer affirmed on appeal)
- Winston v. City of Daytona Beach, 2003-30890-CICI (Fla. 7th Jud. Cir.) (summary judgment in favor or employer)
- Torres v. City of Orlando, 16 Fla.L.Weekly Fed. D306 (M.D. Fla. 2003) (summary judgment and award of attorneys fees vs plaintiff and her attorney)
- Battan v. City of Daytona Beach, 869 So.2d 568 (Fla. 5th DCA 2004) (summary judgment in favor of employer affirmed on appeal)
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Board Certified by the Florida Supreme Court in Labor & Employment Law (2001-present)
- "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America (2009-present)
- Florida Super Lawyers (2006-2010, 2016)
- Orlando Magazine, Orlando's Best Lawyers (2010)
- Orlando Home & Leisure Magazine, Orlando's Top Lawyers (2011)
- Former President, Central Florida Credit Association
- Volunteer, Youth Coach for YMCA,
- Volunteer, East Orange Little League
- Volunteer, Pop Warner
- Volunteer, FBVA
- Volunteer, Orange County Recreation Center
- Labor & Employment Lawyers From Akerman Senterfitt Join National Boutique9.4.07
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Orlando Annual Labor and Employment Law Summit10.19.17
- University of Miami School of LawJ.D. 1992, cum laude
- University of FloridaB.S. 1985
- Florida District Courts of Appeal
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida