Burton F. Dodd
Burton Dodd is a partner in the firm's Atlanta office. For more than 30 years he has successfully defended colleges and universities, independent schools, multi-national manufacturers, hospitals, professional medical groups, textile manufacturers, telecommunications corporations, and other employers throughout the United States against claims of employment discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wrongful discharge brought in federal and state courts and administrative agencies.
Burton also has defended employers against claims of disability discrimination, Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) violations, Equal Pay Act (EPA) violations, and whistle-blower retaliation, as well as against state tort and contract claims.
He has extensive experience in federal and state trial and appellate courts. Burton participates in the National Association of College and University Attorneys. A major underwriter of employment practices liability insurance for higher education has designated him as outside employment counsel for its insured universities, colleges, and independent schools.
He is a member of the firm's Education Practice Group and the School and College Law Section of the Georgia Bar.
Burton is "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell and has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America since 2010.
He was recognized as a Labor Law-Management Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America for 2017.
- Sitton v. Print Direction, Inc., 312 Ga. App. 365, 718 S.E.2d 532 (2011)
- Cox v. Altus Healthcare and Hospice, Inc., 308 Ga. App. 28, 706 S.E.2d 660 (2011)
- Moeti v. Clark Atlanta University, 282 Ga. 164, 646 S.E.2d 265 (2007)
- Majeed v. Randall, 279 Ga. App. 679, 632 S.E.2d 413 (2006)
- Bota v. Clark Atlanta University, Inc., 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 72698 (N.D. Ga. 2006)
- Ellison v. Auburn University at Montgomery, 2006 WL 3292714 (M. D. Ala. November 13, 2006)
- Morris v. The Emory Clinic, Inc., 402 F.3d 1076 (11th Cir. 2005)
- Johnson v. Morehouse College, 199 F. Supp. 2d 1345 (N.D. Ga. 2002)
- Eckhardt v. Yerkes Regional Primate Center, 254 Ga. App. 38, 561 S.E.2d 164 (2002)
- Murtagh v. Emory University, 152 F. Supp. 2d 1356 (N.D. Ga. 2001)
- Cruet v. Emory University, 85 F. Supp. 2d 1353 (N.D. Ga. 2000)
- Shah v. Clark Atlanta University, Inc., 78 EPD 40,024 (N. D. Ga. 1999), 1999 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 2207
- Griffis v. The Carter Center, Inc., 76 FEP Cases 959 (N.D. Ga. 1998)
- Chawla v. Emory University, 1997 WL 907570 (N. D. Ga. 1997)
- Whitehead v. Miller Brewing Co., 126 F.R.D. 581 (M.D. Ga. 1989)
- EEOC v. Emory University, 47 FEP Cases 642 (N.D. Ga. 1988)
- McLaren v. Emory University, 705 F. Supp. 563 (N.D. Ga. 1988)
Honors & Leadership
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Georgia, South Carolina, and Virginia State Bar Associations
- Member, University of Virginia Alumni Association
- Member, Virginia Athletics Foundation
- Director, University of Richmond Law School Association (1999-2002)
- University of Richmond School of LawJ.D. 1978, cum laude
- University of VirginiaB.A. 1975, with distinction
- South Carolina
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- Georgia Supreme Court
- South Carolina Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of Virginia