Brent A. Cossrow
Brent Cossrow is a partner in the Philadelphia office, where his practice involves general employment counseling and litigation.
In addition to counseling businesses on a wide range of employment matters, Brent maintains a particular practice focus on issues arising out of the movement of employees between competing companies.
These issues include covenants not to compete, non-solicitation, non-use and non-disclosure agreements, unfair competition, employee raiding, trade secrets and confidential business information, fiduciary duty/duty of loyalty claims, state trade secrets and unfair competition statutes.
As a part of this nationwide practice, Brent has enforced and defended emerging "e-discovery" issues in corporate espionage cases, such as the preservation of electronically stored evidence on computer and e-mail systems and digital storage devices, recovering deleted digital evidence, the misappropriation and spoliation of electronic evidence, the impact of incorporating open source code into proprietary computer programming, the examination of opposing forensic computer experts, and civil claims under the federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA).
Brent also has counseled clients on how to design and implement "best practices" with respect to the management and retention of electronic information.
Brent is "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell and he was listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers – Rising Stars in 2008.
Honors & Leadership
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
- Vice Chairman, The Reading Terminal Market Corporation (2012-present)
- Director, The Reading Terminal Market Corporation (2009-present)
- General Counsel, The Reading Terminal Market Merchants' Association (2007-2009)
- Director, The Germantown Cricket Club (2006-2010)
- Reading Terminal Market Corporation Taps Fisher Phillips Attorney to Serve as Vice Chairman of the Market's Board10.24.12
- Reading Terminal Market Merchants' Association Appoints Fisher Phillips Attorney to Board of Directors of the Reading Terminal Market Corporation10.19.09
- Reading Terminal Market Merchants' Association Selects Fisher Phillips Attorney as First General Counsel2.14.08
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog8.2.12
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog2.29.12
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog1.26.12
- Decision Insights: Publicly Available Ingredients Do Not Invalidate Source Code’s Trade Secret StatusNon-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog3.21.11
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog1.31.11
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog12.10.10
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog12.1.10
- Computer Fraud & Abuse Act: Court Rejects Argument That Employer’s Corporate Policies Can Make Employee Access “Unauthorized” Under the CFAANon-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog11.23.10
- Former Société Générale Trader Convicted of Stealing Proprietary Source Code; Stage Set for Goldman Sachs Source Code ProsecutionNon-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog11.21.10
- U.S. Loses Argument that the Computer Fraud & Abuse Act Applies to Employees Who Access Work ComputersNon-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog11.10.10
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog11.2.10
- Stengart v. Loving Care: An Employer-Friendly Decision In Favor Employee Privacy Rights in Workplace Computers and EmailNon-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog7.1.10
- University of Pittsburgh School of LawJ.D. 2000
- Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy, Tufts University1996-1997
- Middlebury CollegeB.A. 1994, cum laude
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania