Alexander A. Wheatley
Alex Wheatley is an associate in the firm's Portland office. Alex defends employers in employment-related administrative claims and lawsuits and has litigated several jury trials and argued numerous motions in both state and federal court. He also advises and provides training to company owners and supervisors on issues relating to workplace discrimination, family leave, wage and hour laws, and noncompetition, nonsoliciation, and nondisclosure agreements.
Alex graduated from the University of Alabama and The Northwestern School of Law at Lewis & Clark College. He graduated magna cum laude from Lewis & Clark, where he received the Legal Analysis and Writing Honors Award and served on the Editorial Board of Environmental Law as the Editor for the online journal.
- Prevailed on Summary Judgment: Alex drafted summary judgment briefing leading to complete dismissal of plaintiff’s wage claim and retaliation claims. Alex was able to demonstrate to the court that the client’s payment plan was legal and that the plaintiff’s claims were without merit.
- Assisted Client Through Department of Labor Audit: Alex represented a large transportation industry client through a Department of Labor payroll audit. Alex successfully convinced the investigator that the client’s use of the fluctuating workweek method of payment was proper.
- Obtained Numerous Dismissals of Agency Charges: Alex has guided several clients through EEOC and BOLI administrative cases. Alex drafted position statements and obtained several dismissals of wage claims and harassment/retaliation claims.
- Defended Client in Class Action Wage and Hour Trial: Alex assisted in the representation of a multi-national corporation in a wage and hour class action. Alex wrote and argued numerous motions and assisted in trying the case.
- Drafted Numerous Policies and Handbooks: Alex provides advice to clients of all different sizes and types – from emerging canna-businesses with only a few employees, to very large corporations with hundreds of employees.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star – 2015-2016
- Amicus Committee, Oregon Justice Resource Center
- Barrister Member, Owen Panner Inn of Court
- Executive Committee Member, Young Patrons Portland Art Museum
- Mitch Baker, Clarence Belnavis, Todd Lyon and Richard Meneghello Honored in Super Lawyers, Laura Jordan and Alexander Wheatley in Rising Stars7.8.15
- Lewis & Clark Law SchoolJ.D. 2010, magna cum laude
- The University of AlabamaB.S. 2006, cum laude