Andrew J. Hoag
Andrew J. Hoag is an attorney in the Los Angeles office. His practice includes representing employers in various aspects of labor and employment law, including training employees and management on wage-and-hour issues and mandatory sexual-harassment-prevention trainings; counseling employers on legal compliance; drafting transactional documents such as employee contracts, severance agreements, settlement agreements, and employee handbooks; and litigating single-plaintiff and wage-and-hour class and collective actions. Andrew has represented clients in a broad range of industries including: the agricultural industry, the airline industry, the media, and celebrity news industry, the software industry, and the transportation industry.
Andrew has had numerous successes litigating cases in many different forums, including the Department of Labor Standards Enforcement, the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, California state courts, Federal District Courts, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
The Wall Street Journal’s Morning Risk Report, The Hill, Law360, and the Orange County Register have quoted Andrew on important labor-and-employment matters, KNX 1070 News Radio has interviewed him, and he has published articles in the Los Angeles Daily Journal.
While in law school, Andrew externed for the Honorable Dean D. Pregerson of the United States District Court, Central District of California, and the United States Attorney’s Office for the Central District of California.
Prior to attending law school, Andrew worked as a committee consultant and legislative director in the California Legislature. Andrew was an All-American collegiate debater.
- Won dismissal of $500,000 claim for hostile work environment in United States District Court, District of Northern California (affirmed by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals);
- Successfully served on trial team for a complete defense verdict in a breach of contract, fraud, and unfair competition claim from terminated employee seeking punitive damages in San Bernardino Superior Court;
- Compelled single-plaintiff arbitration in a federal lawsuit where the putative class representative sought to bring a Fair Labor Standards Act Collective Action asserting wage-and-hour claims on behalf of dozens of employees (ultimately settling with the putative class representative for a nuisance-value amount);
- Obtained dismissal of claim from former employee to the National Labor Relations Board alleging unfair labor practices in violation of Section 8(A)(1) of the National Labor Relations Act (appeal denied);
- Obtained dismissal of former employee’s charge of sex discrimination brought before the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission;
- Won case closure of former employee’s Department of Fair Employment and Housing charge of race and sex discrimination; and
- Received a decision awarding former employee $0.00 for her wage-and-hour claims at the Department of Labor Standards Enforcement, Labor Commissioner, State of California.
Honors & Leadership
- Board of Trustees, Los Angeles Arboretum Foundation
- Member, PIHRA Los Angeles
- Member, Kokusai Golf Club
- Former Board member and Vice Chair, California Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Former Associate Editor, The Affiliate, Young Lawyers Division, American Bar Association
- Former Executive Committee Member, Labor and Employment Section, Beverly Hills Bar Association
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Topics to Avoid at the Breakfast Table: President Trump and Politics, Marijuana, and Transgender EmployeesLos Angeles Breakfast Briefing4.18.17
- 2016 Los Angeles Seminar9.21.16
- Breakfast Briefing11.6.14
- Speaker, Interviewed by KNX 1070 News Radio on SB 142 and CA’s new lactation accommodations (Los Angeles, California) 12.30.2019
- Management Training, re: California Wage-and-Hour Law, Harassment Prevention, and Immigration Update (Rancho Cucamonga, California) (Private Employer Training) 02.10.2017
- Presenter, “Marijuana, E-Cigarettes and Other Smoky Stuff,” (East Ventura County Employer Advisory Council) 01.18.2017
- Co-Presenter 2017 California Case Law and Legislative Update (Thousand Oaks, California) 12.8.2016
- Presenter, “Understanding and Navigating Leaves of Absence/Wage-Hour Review,” (Paychex) (Costa Mesa, California) 11.15.2016
- Co-presenter California Paid Sick Leave Law and Cell Phone Reimbursement Plans 11.06.2016
- Presenter, “Workplace Investigations, Conflict Resolution, and Terminations: Keeping Your Company Running Smoothly,” (Western Ventura County Employer Advisory Council) 05.11.2016
- Co-presenter “Weathering the Employment Law Storm,” (Santa Anita, California) 04.01.2016
- Co-presenter, “Paid Sick Leave and Cell Phone Reimbursement Plans,” (Los Angeles, California) 11.06.2014
- Co-presenter “Discrimination, Retaliation & Harassment: You Don’t Want It!” 39th Annual Agricultural Labor Relations Forum (Orlando, Florida) 9.13.2013
- Co-presenter “California’s Unique and Complex State Employment Law Requirements: Avoiding Employment Law Surprises,” Multistate Employers in California Summit: Employment Law Essentials for HR - BLR Webinar
- Author, “Workplace Texting Creating a Growing List of Implications,” Los Angeles Daily Journal
- Author, “Classifying Workers as Interns in Light of Glatt v. Fox Searchlight,” American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division Labor and Employment Law Committee Newsletter, Fall 2013, Vol. 1 No. 1.
- Author, “Acquiring a Personal Legal Antilibrary,” Federal Bar Association YLD Perspectives
- Co-Author, “Scandal Highlights Need to Review Sexual Harassment Policies,” Los Angeles Daily Journal
- Co-Author, “Employers Should Prepare for Impact of Marriage Rulings,” Los Angeles Daily Journal
- University of Southern California, Gould School of Law, Los AngelesJ.D.
- University of Southern CaliforniaM.P.A.
- Pepperdine UniversityB.A.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California