|April 29, 2017 | https:www.fisherphillips.com|
Mary Chapin Carpenter's song sums up a lot of wisdom about life and it also conveys some important truths in the employee relations area.
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, or ARRA, was a comprehensive piece of legislation designed to stimulate the economy during our "Great Recession." For employers, the most significant aspect of the new law involved the continuation of health care coverage through COBRA for those involuntarily terminated since September 1, 2008, with employees paying 35% of their premiums and employers on the hook for the remaining 65%. Although set to expire on December 31, 2009, Congress is considering extending the benefit and raising the employer contribution to 75%. Stay tuned for developments in the early part of 2010.