Scott provides strategic counsel to command the workforce for competitive edge. Scott not only empowers clients to achieve compliance at all stages of the employment relationship, but to foster workforce cohesion and bolster productivity where possible, achieve practical ends to conflict and limit liability where not, and ameliorate costs.
Scott engages clients to tailor dynamic employment practices and to structure policies driven by their unique culture and firmly grounded in equity. He routinely advises clients on cultivating diverse and inclusive workplaces, strategic workforce recruitment, employment agreements and restrictive covenants (non-competes), employee compensation, wage and hour concerns, prevailing wage issues, securing and protecting workplace access to and use of confidential and proprietary information, effectively responding to requests for leave or accommodation, disciplining employees, terminations, and mass layoffs. A former teacher, Scott is also an experienced and effectual workplace trainer.
When push comes to shove, Scott zealously defends clients in federal and state courts and before government agencies during all stages of litigation and alternative dispute resolution, including the EEOC, DOL, WSHRC, and HCRC. Scott has successfully defended clients against all types of complaints, including in contract and tort, and for unfair labor practices; wrongful and constructive discharge; discrimination; harassment; violations of leave laws; failure to provide reasonable accommodations; violations of wage and hour, occupational health and safety, and workers’ compensation laws; and whistleblowing and retaliation.
Honors & Leadership
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Washington Bar Association
- Member, Hawaii Bar Association
- Member, Society of Human Resource Management
- Member, Association for Conflict Resolution
- Hawaii State Judiciary Appellate Pro Bono Program
- Legal Aid Society of Hawaii
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Employment Libel and Privacy Law 50 State Survey
- The Gig Economy and Occupational Safety and Health
- Defense Research Institute: State by State Compendium of New
2019, 2018, 2017
- United States: Another Blow to Employment Arbitration Clauses in Hawaii
- Are You a Joint Employer? Time to Reassess
- Trump and the Workplace: What Employers Need to Know
- Managing the Workforce in the Gig Economy
- Defend Trade Secrets Act Bring Employers New Protections, New Responsibilities
- NLRB Warns Employees-Your Employee Handbook Is Probably Illegal
- University of Hawai'i at Manoa - William S. Richardson School of LawJ.D.
- University of Hawai'i at Manoa – Shidler College of BusinessM.B.A
- Ball State UniversityM.A.
- University of Central FloridaB.A., magna cum laude
- University of Maryland Global CampusB.S., magna cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the District of Hawaii
- Washington Supreme Court
- Hawaii Supreme Court