Samuel Lillard is Of Counsel in the firm's Columbus office. His practice focuses on general employment litigation, arbitration, and mediation. Samuel is an seasoned litigator with over 20 years experience in representing employers in all Ohio and federal courts, as well as a number of regulatory agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) , the Ohio Civil Rights Commission, the Department of Labor (DOL), the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and the Office of Unemployment Compensation.
He also advises both private and public sector employers on various employment and personnel matters, including issues that arise under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), drug testing policies, workplace safety, sexual harassment, employee discipline, wage-hour matters, protecting trade secrets and confidential corporate materials, and the drafting and enforcement of non-compete/nondisclosure agreements.
Samuel is also an allied member of the Ohio Hotel & Lodging Association, and a frequent lecturer to the hospitality industry on various employment topics, including public accommodations under the ADA.
Samuel been included in Ohio Super Lawyers every year since 2009.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers® (2007, 2009-2016)
- Ohio State Bar Association Board Certified Labor and Employment Law Specialist
- Labor and Employment Law Section Council, Ohio State Bar Association
- Former Assistant Prosecutor for Warren County, Ohio
- Former Assistant Attorney General for the State of Ohio, Federal Litigation and Employment Law
- Columbus Fencing & Fitness LLC, President
- Dublin Middle School Fencing Club, Coach
- Six Others Listed as Rising Stars12.2.16
- One listed as 2016 Ohio Rising Star12.2.15
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Hosted by Fisher Phillips and ClearPath Benefit Advisors10.28.16
- NLRB Sends Message: Employers Must Provide Employees with Access to Company Email Systems to Grouse with Others After Hours2.26.15
- Breakfast Briefing11.18.14
- University of Cincinnati College of LawJ.D., 1988
- University of DaytonB.A., 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims