Selwyn Chu is an employment litigator and counselor in Fisher Phillips’ Irvine office. He exclusively represents employers and management in workplace disputes ranging from single-plaintiff discrimination, harassment, and retaliation claims to wage and hour class and PAGA actions. Selwyn also represents clients in administrative matters before regulatory agencies like the DFEH, the EEOC, and the DLSE. When not litigating cases or advocating in official proceedings, Selwyn regularly counsels clients on a variety of compliance and risk management issues, such as reasonable accommodation, leaves of absence, workplace investigations, termination and discipline, trade secret protection, and workplace privacy.
Selwyn has resolved lawsuits and administrative actions on behalf of employers in both state and federal forums, with results that include dismissals, administrative closures and no-cause findings, and early and favorable out-of-court settlements. To that end, Selwyn frequently handles matters in the ADR forum as well, and he has extensive experience enforcing mandatory employment arbitration and class waiver agreements to get such matters out of court and into the more employer-friendly confines of individual arbitration. Some of Selwyn’s representative matters and their outcomes:
- Defensed a retaliation claim brought by police officer against local police department and its employee, and obtained an award of attorneys’ fees, after prevailing on anti-SLAPP motion.
- Obtained a zero-dollar walkaway settlement after defeating plaintiff’s motion for preliminary injunction in case defending real estate coaching company and its founder against claims of trade secret misappropriation.
- Procured nuisance value settlements in numerous employment litigation matters on behalf of subsidiary of Fortune 500 company in the transportation and shipping industry.
- Obtained reversal on appeal of a $600,000-plus PAGA judgment and attorneys’ fees award on behalf of subsidiary of Fortune 500 company in the automotive retail industry.
- Obtained summary judgment in retaliation case on behalf of affiliates of Fortune 500 company in the hospital and healthcare services industry.
- Successfully compelled arbitration of employee discrimination and harassment claims in multiple cases on behalf of leading North American supplier of flooring, wall, and countertop surfaces, facilitating modest settlements at mediations that followed.
A native New Yorker and former Peace Corps volunteer in Nicaragua, Selwyn enjoys visiting new places and experiencing different cultures; he aspires to travel more in his free time. In addition to the Spanish he picked up from his time in the Peace Corps, Selwyn also speaks conversational Mandarin.
Honors & Leadership
- American Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Section)
- Orange County Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Section)
- Orange County Asian American Bar Association
- University of California, Irvine School of LawJ.D., 2012
- New York UniversityB.A., 2006
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- Mandarin Chinese