Robert W. Ratton III
Rob Ratton is Of Counsel in the Memphis office. He advises clients regarding a wide range of employment law matters including Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) related issues.
Prior to joining the firm, Rob worked as in house counsel for the nation’s leading lawn care services provider where he represented the business unit in employment mediation, advised on dispute resolution processes, EEOC issues, internal investigations and other employment law issues. He also served as an Assistant City Attorney at the City of Memphis, where he represented the City in employment law matters including union negotiations and civil rights lawsuits. Prior to working for the City of Memphis, he was an Assistant District Attorney for the Shelby County District Attorney’s Office, as well as Adjunct Faculty at the University of Memphis School of Law. He was also lead counsel on the first gang injunction in Shelby County.
Rob has tried over 30 jury trials to verdict and represented clients in front of state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate level.
After graduating law school, Rob was a Fellow for the Criminal Defense Section State Court of Bosnia-Herzegovina, helping to establish rules of law in the first domestic tribunal to adjudicate war criminals.
Honors & Leadership
Rob currently serves as a Board Member for Latino Memphis. He formerly held a board position with the Association of Corporate Counsel in Tennessee and was a member of the Memphis Bar Association Leadership Forum. In 2011, he received the Distinguished Service Award from the Shelby County District Attorney General. Rob is also a member of the Mayor’s Multicultural Coalition, a group appointed by Memphis Mayor A C Wharton to encourage greater awareness of cultural diversity in the city.
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, “Notice in the GTLA: A Biased Case Law Overview by a Government Lawyer,” MBA CLE Series, September 27, 2013
- Speaker, “State Prosecution of Environmental Crimes,” Environmental Show of the South, Gatlinburg, TN, April 25, 2012
- Speaker, “Evidence Based Prosecution,” Tennessee Domestic Violence Training, Knoxville, TN, February 24, 2011
- Speaker, “Overview of Domestic Violence Prosecution,” TN Assoc. Crim. Defense Lawyers, Memphis, TN, November 13, 2009
- Speaker, “Domestic Violence Prosecution: Practice and Policy,” New Prosecutor Training, Nashville, TN February 24, 2009
- Speaker, “Crimes Against Humanity,” War Crimes Tribunal, Sarajevo, BiH October 2005
- Gig Employer Blog10.17.16
- University of Iowa College of LawJ.D. 2005
- Tulane UniversityB.A. 2000, cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- Tennessee Supreme Court