Lariza Hebert is an associate in the firm’s Houston office. She represents clients in a broad range of labor and employment matters, including unlawful discrimination claims, harassment claims, retaliation claims, independent contractor issues, employee leave issues, trade secret litigation, and more.
Lariza has litigated before state, federal, and administrative agencies, and has participated in dispute resolutions before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and Texas Workforce Commission.
Prior to joining Fisher Phillips, Lariza began her career in-house at a large grocery retailer, where she frequently drafted employee policies and advised on compliance.
- Obtained summary judgment in the Southern District of Texas for an energy manufacturing company against a plaintiff who brought race discrimination and retaliation claims under Title VII.
- Obtained summary judgment in the Western District of Texas for a food processing client against a plaintiff who brought multiple causes of action, including disability discrimination and failure to accommodate claims under the Americans with Disabilities Act; affirmed by the Fifth Circuit.
- Obtained summary judgment in the Northern District of Texas for an automotive company against a plaintiff who brought eight causes of action, including claims for disability discrimination and retaliation under the Americans with Disabilities Act, age discrimination under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and interference and retaliation under the Family Medical Leave Act.
- Obtained arbitration award arising from collective bargaining relationship for manufacturing client.
- Obtained trial verdict in favor of automotive dealership client in Texas state court finding certain workers were independent contractors and not employees.
- Obtained early summary judgment in the Southern District of Texas for an energy client based on a prior agreement against a former employee who brought claims alleging race and disability discrimination and retaliation.
- Obtained partial summary judgement for oil and gas company against plaintiff who brought claims of race discrimination and retaliation.
Honors & Leadership
- Member, Bexar County Women’s Bar Association
- Member, San Antonio Bar Association
- Member, Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Member, Texas Aggie Bar Association
- Member, Houston Bar Association
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- How and Why the Weinstein Effect Requires Every Employer To Re-examine its Harassment Prevention Practices2.13.18
- San Antonio Full Day Seminar10.14.16
- "A Practical Guide to Mental Health Conditions in the Workplace" & "Workplace Violence Prevention"
2018 HR Houston Gulf Coast Symposium
- Presented on Employment Legal Updates
Club Management Association of America Business Management Institute
- "Austin’s Paid Sick Leave Ordinance"
Texas Retailer’s Association Forum, panel speaker
- Presented on the #MeToo Movement
CUE Southwest Employers Consortium,
- "How and Why the Weinstein Effect Requires Every Employer to Re-examine Its Harassment Prevention Practices"
Greater Houston Society for Healthcare Risk Management (“GHSHRM”)
- "LGBT Workers: What Employers Should Know"
Central Texas Human Resource Management Association
- Acquiring Workers Through Agencies or Other Third Parties Does Little To Reduce the Risk of Potential Legal Claims of Harassment5.30.18
- Emergence of the Healthcare Industry as the Country’s Largest Employer Presents New Challenges and Considerations for Employers4.30.18
- Term vs. Termination: Clauses That Create Problems in Employee Agreements
Co-Author Kevin Troutman
Houston Medical Journal
- Gig Employer Blog4.22.19
- Gig Employer Blog10.17.18
- Government Relations Blog2.23.17
- Blurred Lines: Texas Supreme Court Applies Hazy Distinction Between Workplace Harassment And Assault3.2.17
- Schools No Longer Face Federal Requirement To Permit Transgender Students To Access Restrooms Corresponding With Their Gender Identities2.23.17
- Schools Forced To Adjust On Cusp Of New Academic Year8.23.16
- St. Mary's University School of LawJ.D. 2015
- Texas A&M UniversityB.S. 2012
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas