LaLonnie Villa Gray
LaLonnie is an experienced employment attorney. From wage and hour representation to advice on claims of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation, LaLonnie advises clients on a variety of employment-related issues. She has represented clients throughout the litigation process in single-plaintiff lawsuits and specifically specializes in class/collective actions. LaLonnie has defended claims brought under the Fair Labor Standards Act, Equal Pay Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Family Medical Leave Act, Title VII, Title IX, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Colorado Wage Act, and Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act. She routinely defends employers against employment-related claims and charges before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Colorado Civil Rights Division.
In addition to litigation and other defense work, LaLonnie helps clients implement proactive solutions to help avoid future litigation. She regularly drafts and revises employee handbooks, employment agreements, and other employment practices. Prior to joining private practice, LaLonnie served as the judicial law clerk to the Honorable Christine M. Arguello of the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado. LaLonnie earned her law degree from the University of Denver Sturm College of Law where she served on the executive board of the Denver University Law Review.
- Assisted litigation team in defending a global insurance company against minimum wage and overtime claims in federal court, ultimately achieving a favorable settlement.
- Assisted litigation team in defending a university against an EEOC Equal Pay Act and Title VII lawsuit that included seven plaintiff-intervenors in federal court.
- Counseled international manufacturing company in recommended FLSA classification for employee positions.
- Advised anesthesia practice on non-compete agreements and related liquidated damages under Colorado law.
- Represented a higher-education institution in a Title IX action (and related state-law claims), defeating the action on summary judgment.
- Prevailed in dismissing disability, race, sex, and age claims filed with the EEOC and CCRD.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Named, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (2021)
- Colorado Super Lawyers - Rising Star (2020)
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Colorado Hispanic Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Law School... Yes We Can, Vice President of the Board and Chair of Fundraising and Donor Communications Committee
- Hispanic National Bar Association, Region XIII Programming Deputy President
- Colorado Hispanic Bar Association, Co-Chair of Membership Committee on the Board
- American Bar Association Young Lawyers’ Division Scholar (2017–2018)
- More Than A Quarter of the Firm’s Attorneys Recognized in 2021 Edition8.20.20
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Denver Annual Seminar3.3.20
- Interviewer, Fireside Chat at Colorado Bar Association’s Employment Law Conference
- Participated as interviewer in the Fireside Chat at Colorado Bar Association’s Employment Law Conference, September 2018
- Presented on Tips from the Bench with the Honorable Christine M. Arguello at ACC event: “CLE & Rockies Game: Relief Pitchers and Pinch Hitters: Sometimes We All Need a Little Help,” September 2018
- Tips from the Bench with the Honorable Christine M. Arguello at ACC event: “CLE & Rockies Game: Relief Pitchers and Pinch Hitters: Sometimes We All Need a Little Help,”
- “Employment Law Update in Colorado,” presented to Lorman Education Services
- Presented “Employment Law Update in Colorado,” presented to Lorman Education Services, October 2017
- “Think Before you Hit Send: When an Email Creates a Contract,” presented to Lorman Education Services
- Presented “Think Before you Hit Send: When an Email Creates a Contract,” presented to Lorman Education Services, July 2016
- Published “Are Web Sites Subject to the Americans with Disabilities Act?,” The Computer & Internet Lawyer, March 2019
- Published “Are Websites Subject to the ADA?,” Colorado Lawyer, October 2018
- Published “Title IX Compliance: Student-on-Student Sexual Violence,” Colorado Lawyer, July 2018
- Published “Happy 45th birthday, Title IX: You've changed a bit over the years,” Employment and Labor Insider, June 2017
- Published “Complying with OSHA’s ‘New’ Anti-Retaliation Provisions,” ACC Docket, April 2017
- Published “Pre-Certification Communications with Putative Class Members,” American Bar Association, Section of Labor and Employment, March 2017
- Published “Diversity in the Legal Profession: Whatever Affects One Directly, Affects All Indirectly,” Denver University Law Review Online, April 2013
- University of Denver Sturm College of LawJ.D., 2014
- Colorado State UniversityB.A., 2011
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado