Letitia Silas is a member of the firm’s COVID-19 Taskforce, a cross-disciplinary team of attorneys dedicated to advising employers on the many workplace law aspects of the global coronavirus pandemic.
Letitia Silas is a Partner in the Bethesda, Maryland office. Letitia’s experience includes a unique combination of private, public, and in-house legal experience. She understands the business and operational needs of employers and has a proven track record of providing practical legal advice, counsel, and training to assist employers with labor and employee relations strategies that ensure legal compliance and mitigate risks while also safeguarding employers’ rights and prerogatives concerning their businesses.
In private practice, Letitia has extensive background representing employers in traditional labor matters across of wide spectrum of industries including healthcare, law enforcement, higher education, retail, hospitality, and entertainment. While in the public sector, Letitia was field attorney for the National Labor Relations Board, where she investigated and litigated complex labor law cases on behalf of the NLRB’s General Counsel. As in-house counsel served as the primary labor relations legal adviser, strategist, and negotiator for a major enterprise while also serving as an executive overseeing the organization’s labor and employee relations staff. Letitia also negotiates collective-bargaining agreements, defends employers in proceedings before the NLRB and arbitrators, conducts internal investigations, drafts handbooks and policies for NLRA compliance, and provides guidance and counsel concerning labor-management relations, employee relations, and collective-bargaining agreement administration.
In addition to Traditional Labor matters, Letitia has advised and consulted employers on matters arising under Title VII, ADA, ADEA, FMLA and other protected leave laws, and FLSA . Her work has included advice and counsel concerning diversity and inclusion, and pay equity as well. Prior to practicing labor law, Letitia served as an EEO Compliance Officer for the Office of Federal Contract Programs (OFCCP), where she audited federal contractor affirmative action plans, performed statistical analyses of personnel practices (job application, hiring, terminations, promotions, and transfers), and investigated and worked to resolve indicators of systemic discrimination.
- Served as in-house Labor Counsel and Director of Labor Relations for a major enterprise that included a historic private university, a 480-bed Level 1 Trauma Center hospital, a commissioned police force, a major radio station, and a public television station.
- Developed and executed comprehensive labor-relations program for company under multiple Consent Orders with the NLRB and the DC Circuit Court.
- Successfully defended an employer in contempt proceedings with the National Labor Relations Board.
- Developed and executed advanced NLRA and CBA compliance training programs for healthcare executives.
- Advised and counseled healthcare entities during major transaction concerning the management and potential acquisition of an urban teaching hospital.
- Successfully defended against a union’s attempt to assert jurisdiction over an employer’s temporary employees.
- Successfully defeated a secondary boycott on the premises of a major university.
- Successfully resolved a contentious dispute regarding remittance of union dues and involving a threat of significant liability for an employer.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Personal Branding, Profile Magazine, Guerrero Media LLC, 2020
- Maryland’s Daily Record Leading Women Award 2015
- Developing Labor Law, Sixth and Eighth Editions, Chapter Editor
- Developing Labor Law, Seventh Edition Cumulative Supplement, Chapter Editor
- Developing Labor Law, Seventh Edition, Contributing Editor
- AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION, LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT, 2015- PRESENT
- CORPORATE COUNCIL WOMEN OF COLOR, 2016- PRESENT
- Labor Relations and Healthcare Partner Shares Her Experience of Joining Fisher Phillips Amid a Pandemic4.17.20
- Letitia Silas Joins Fisher Phillips’ Labor Relations Practice in Bethesda3.25.20
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- 2019 Hunter College Institute of Collective Bargaining, Panelist, Finding All Sides of the Truth: Investigating and Handling Employee Discipline
- 2018 ABA Annual Labor and Employment Conference, Panelist, How to Draft an Employee Handbook Under the NLRA
- 2017 ABA, Developments Under the NLRA Mid-Winter Conference, Weingarten
- Publications: Inclusion: Preventing Anti-Other Discrimination and Ensuring Equal Employment Opportunity in Public Employment, 2 WIDENER J.L. ECON. & RACE 60 (2011)
- Suffolk University Law School
- California State University, Northridge
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts