Kim Kiel Thompson
Kim Thompson is a Special Counsel in the firm's Atlanta office. Her practice focuses on immigration and nationality law; she began practicing in this area in 1990.
Kim's practice includes nonimmigrant and immigrant visa work, handling cases for aliens of extraordinary ability and outstanding researchers, professionals, and intra-company transferees. She also advises clients regarding compliance with the Form I-9, including government audits of I-9 forms and discrimination and document abuse provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA) of 1986.
Kim is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, the ABA-affiliated association for attorneys practicing immigration law.
She is a frequent lecturer and presenter on immigration topics and she also advises employers regarding best practices in immigration-related employment issues.
Kim is "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell. She has been selected for inclusion in Georgia Super Lawyers every year since 2005 and, in 2005, was named one of the "Top 50 Female Georgia Super Lawyers." She was also selected for inclusion in The Legal 500 – Immigration in 2015.
Kim has also been listed in Chambers USA, America's Leading Business Lawyers since 2009 and in The Best Lawyers in America since 2010.
In 2012, she was named one of Georgia Trend magazine’s "Legal Elite" for her work in immigration law.
Experience in permanent residence cases for Aliens of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers (including scientists, Olympic athletes, and internationally-recognized academics) and University and College faculty (special handling cases).
Significant experience in representation of employers in connection with U.S. governmental agency discrimination charges, audits and investigations (including H-1B and H-2B U.S. Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division audits/investigations, H-1B audits by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Form I-9 compliance audits by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement).
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (2010 – 2021)
- Listed in Georgia Super Lawyers, since 2005
- Named one of the "Top 50 Female Georgia Super Lawyers" in 2005
- Listed in Chambers USA, America's Leading Business Lawyers, since 2009
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, since 2010
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America - Immigration Law (2020)
- Named one of Georgia Trend magazine’s “Legal Elite” for her work in immigration law in 2012.
- Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Member, The Japan-America Society of Georgia
- Druid Hills Civil Association
- Georgia Center for Child Advocacy
- Culture Connect
- Latin American Association
- Atlanta Humane Society
- More Than A Quarter of the Firm’s Attorneys Recognized in 2021 Edition8.20.20
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.3.18
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.30.17
- Five Other Lawyers Named ‘Rising Stars’2.21.13
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- The Global Talent Pool: Advanced Tips on Finding and Managing Global Talent in the Pacific NorthwestLunch & Learn2.11.16
Put Immigration at the top of your To-Do List
ICE Audit, I-9 Forms and E-Verify Houston, TX
Saudi Arabia - Visa Applications and Procedures
Federal Contractor E-Verify
- Permanent Residence: First Preference Priority Worker Category Provides an Opportunity to Jump to the Head of the "Green Card" Line2.2.10
- Cross Border Employer Blog3.6.17
- Cross Border Employer Blog11.21.14
- Cross Border Employer Blog10.27.14
- Cross Border Employer Blog11.11.13
- Cross Border Employer Blog7.7.13
- Cross Border Employer Blog12.3.12
- Cross Border Employer Blog3.12.12
- Cross Border Employer Blog11.14.11
- Cross Border Employer Blog8.15.11
- Cross Border Employer Blog4.16.11
- Wage and Hour Laws Blog1.2.11
- Federal Appeals Court Rejects Government Bid To Reinstate Travel Ban2.9.17
- University of Miami School of LawJ.D. 1989, cum laude
- Florida State UniversityM.A. (International Relations) 1984
- Florida State UniversityB.S. 1981
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Georgia Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia