Jim Kurek is a partner in the firm's Cleveland office. He represents employers in all aspects of labor and employment law.
With more than 30 years of experience, Jim has represented employers ranging from Fortune 500 companies to small closely-held companies in a variety of employment litigation, including nationwide class actions, cases brought by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), individual discrimination and wrongful discharge claims, and in a variety of labor matters, including union organizing, collective bargaining and grievance arbitrations.
As a trial attorney, Jim has successfully tried numerous jury trials in state and federal court including disability, age, race and sex discrimination, sexual harassment, breach of employment contract, and wrongful discharge claims.
Jim has been certified as a Labor and Employment Law Specialist by the Ohio State Bar Association since that certification was first awarded.
He has also been listed in the Best Lawyers in America and Ohio Super Lawyers for a number of years.
Honors & Leadership
Jim is a Bencher in the Scanlon Inn of Court in Akron, Ohio, part of the American Inns of Court and a member of the Akron, Ohio and American Bar Associations.
Jim has served on a number of community non-profit boards, including Ardmore Inc. (providing residential care to persons with developmental disabilities).
- Two Others Listed as Rising Stars12.6.17
- Four Others Listed as Rising Stars12.2.16
- One Other Listed as 2016 Ohio Rising Stars12.2.15
- Two Others Listed as Rising Stars12.2.14
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- “Why the NLRB is Still Snooping Around Your Employee Handbook”
- University of Michigan Law SchoolJD 1981, cum laude
- University of ToledoBBA 1978, magna cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Supreme Court