J. Freedley Hunsicker Jr.
Freedley Hunsicker is Senior Counsel in the Philadelphia office. He represents employers in a broad range of labor and employment issues including union organizing, discrimination, collective bargaining, labor arbitration, and wrongful discharge and sexual harassment litigation. He also counsels employers on regulatory issues.
Freedley combines his understanding of employment law with years of experience in state and federal court litigation, as well as administrative proceedings, defending employers in cases alleging race, sex, age and disability discrimination, sexual harassment, defamation, and wrongful discharge.
Freedley also maintains a traditional labor practice. He represents employers in union organizing campaigns, unfair labor practice charges, and labor arbitrations. He practices before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), negotiates collective bargaining agreements and has particular experience in the healthcare, education, service and manufacturing industries.
He also has experience with secondary boycotts and construction industry labor disputes. Freedley has an extensive practice in disability discrimination, including both litigation and counseling.
Freedley is regularly named in Best Lawyers in America and Who's Who in America. He is co-author of NLRB Remedies for Unfair Labor Practices (2d ed. 1986) (University of Pennsylvania Wharton School, Industrial Research Unit). Freedley practices extensively in the field of higher education and contributes regularly to The Journal of Law and Education. He is "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Honors & Leadership
- Published extensively, and lectured, on the ADA. His articles have appeared in Personnel Journal, Focus Magazine, The ABA Journal, The Legal Intelligencer, The Hospital Personnel Reporter, The New Jersey Law Journal and The Journal of Law and Education
- Active member of the American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section and the Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Former President and current Board Member of Overbrook School for the Blind
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Philadelphia Annual One Day Seminar9.29.16
- More Breaking Bad (Behaviors): Marijuana, Alcohol, Cigarettes, Cursing, Social Media, Tattoos, Piercings, Etc.3.3.15
- “Northwestern Football Players’ Unionization Remains Long Shot” – The Legal Intelligencer
- “Learning Disabilities, Law Schools and the Lowering of the Bar” – 42 South Texas Law Review, No. 1
- “Ten Significant Labor and Employment Law Developments in Higher Education in the 1990’s and Five to Look for in the Coming Decade” – 29 Journal of Law and Education 343
- “The Accommodations of Writing Disorders in Law School: A Lawyer’s View” – 27 Journal of Law and Education 621
- “A Constitutional Right to Party?” – 21 Journal of Law and Education 205
- “Ready or Not: The ADA” – Personnel Journal
- “Confusion Over Disabilities” – Focus
- “NLRB Remedies for Unfair Labor Practices” – co-authored with Jonathan Kane and Peter Walther – Wharton Press
- University of Pennsylvania Law SchoolJ.D., cum laude
- Yale UniversityB.A.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania