Janet Hendrick is an experienced employment litigator who tackles each of her client’s problems with a tailored, results-oriented approach. Whether training managers on employment law compliance to minimize an employer’s legal risk or representing the employer in court or arbitration, she brings years of experience and in-depth legal knowledge to deliver results.
Janet regularly appears in state and federal court to defend employers of all sizes against discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and related claims. She frequently represents non-subscribing employers against employee injury claims under state law. Rather than simply managing a case, Janet applies a resolution strategy from the beginning of a matter that informs every decision, always with her clients’ goals in mind. Her approach has led to successful resolution of claims whether by dispositive motion, favorable settlement, or judgment.
To help clients avoid litigation, she helps them navigate high-risk employment decisions and audits, and trains management in a user-friendly, interactive style that results in a more productive and positive work environment and fewer claims. Janet prepares employment contracts and arbitration agreements, and prepares, defends, and enforces restrictive covenants, including non-competition agreements.
Janet is a sought-after speaker and author on topics including gender diversity in the legal profession, workplace accommodations and leave management, evolving workplace protections of LGBT employees, and the rapidly expanding gig economy.
Deeply committed to the advancement of women in the legal profession, Janet brings her passion to the firm’s Women’s Initiative and Leadership Council, and is an active member of the National Association of Women Lawyers and the Dallas Women Lawyers Association. She is also a member of the firm’s Associate Development and Retention Committee and the labor and employment law sections of the American Bar Association, the State Bar of Texas, and the Dallas Bar Association.
Prior to joining Fisher Phillips, Janet practiced in the labor and employment litigation section with Jones Day in Dallas, New York, Washington DC, and London.
- Arbitration Victory in Discrimination and Retaliation Case. Janet tried and won a case in arbitration before a retired judge in which the plaintiff, a former manager of the dealership client, claimed discriminatory discharge, hostile work environment, and retaliation following his termination for documented performance issues.
- Arbitration Victory in Nonsubscriber Case for National Retail Client. Janet tried and won a case in arbitration in which the plaintiffs, family members of a store manager and employee who were shot and killed at work by the manager’s estranged husband, alleged the nonsubscriber employer was negligent in failing to prevent the murders.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as Dallas Top 50 Women in Law by Texas Diversity Council
- Recognized as Top 15 Business Women in Dallas by National Women’s Council
- Member, National Association of Women Lawyers
- Member, Dallas Women Lawyers Association
- Member, American Bar Association Labor and Employment Section
- Member, Dallas Bar Association Labor and Employment Section
- Member, Collin County Bar Association
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Dallas Two-part Lunch and Learn Series8.24.17
- Trump’s First 100 Day Impact on Employment Regulations4.11.17
- Dallas Lunch & Learn11.9.16
- Dallas Full-Day Seminar8.30.16
- "Hot Topics in Employment Law for Hoteliers" – Hotel Association of Tarrant County
- National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL) Webinar – "Hot Topics in Employment Law"
- "Evolving Protections of LGBT Workers" – HRSouthwest
- "Evolving Protections of LGBT Workers" – Hotel Association of North Texas
- TrendHR Legal Conference, Rockwall, Texas – “ Master Class: FMLA and ADA” and “Transgender and Sexual Orientation Issues in the Workplace”
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers: Current Employment Law Topics, Dallas, Texas
- Transgender Issues in the Workplace - Fisher Phillips Lunch & Learn, Dallas Texas – “ Headwinds on the Horizon”
- "FLSA Administration and Executive Exemptions: Avoiding, Auditing and Correcting Misclassifications." (Webinar)
- The HR Southwest Conference, Fort Worth, Texas – “Pay Now or Pay Later-Do Your Pay Practices Comply with the Law?”
- The HR Southwest Conference, Fort Worth, Texas – “Battling the Workplace Bully”
- HR WebAdvisor Webinar – “Indefinite Leave and Reassignment as Reasonable Accommodations Under the ADA”
- Fisher Phillips One Day, Many Solutions – Employment Law Coast-to-Coast, Dallas, Texas – “Everybody Gets a Trophy: Avoiding Performance Management Mistakes” and “Come See Me When You Can Do Your Job! – Best Practices Related to Employee Leave”
- TrendHR Legal Conference, Rockwall, Texas – “Practical Tips for Managing Employee Leave: ADA, FMLA and Worker’s Comp” and “From Hiring to Firing: Common Mistakes & How to Avoid Them – Recruiting, Hiring, Performance Management, and Terminations”
- Parkland Health & Hospital System, Dallas, Texas – “Managing Employee Leave” ADA, FMLA and Workers’ Compensation”
- Safran USA, Grand Prairie, Texas - Top 10 (and more) Labor and Employment Law Developments
- Fisher Phillips Employment Law Spring Training, Dallas, Texas – “Reasonable Accommodation – Build a Solid Backstop to Reduce Potential Liability”
- Trend HR Legal Conference – Rockwall, Texas – “Managing Unemployment: An Employer’s Guide to Navigating an Unemployment Claim in Texas”
- WCR National Conference - "Restaurant Culture & The #metoo Moment: Moving Towards a Harassment Free Workplace" Panel
- The Modern Workforce In Transition: Strategies for Employers Handling Transgender and Sexual Identity Issues11.2.15
- Gig Employer Blog11.21.16
- Gig Employer Blog10.19.16
- Gig Employer Blog10.12.16
- Gig Employer Blog6.28.16
- Workers Left Waiting For Groundbreaking Decision3.14.17
- Southern Methodist University School of LawJ.D. 1991, cum laude, Order of the Coif
- University of Texas at ArlingtonB.A. 1984
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas