Janet Hendrick is a partner in the firm’s Dallas office. She represents national and regional employers in industries including healthcare, retail, hospitality and manufacturing in federal and state court and before administrative agencies.
Janet’s practice focuses on defense of employment discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wage and hour claims. She has successfully resolved numerous claims for employers by dispositive motion or through trial or arbitration.
In addition to her litigation practice, Janet regularly advises employers on compliance with Titles I and III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and is a frequent speaker on disability accommodation and leave issues. She also advises employers on evolving issues relating to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) and gig economy workers.
To assist clients with preventing claims, Janet regularly conducts workplace investigations, compliance audits, and management training. She also prepares employment contracts and arbitration agreements, and prepares, defends, and enforces restrictive covenants.
Janet is active with the firm’s Women’s Initiative and Leadership Council (WILC) and a member of the firm’s Associate Development and Retention Committee. She is a member of the Labor and Employment Law sections of the State Bar of Texas and the Dallas Bar Association.
Prior to joining Fisher Phillips, Janet practiced labor and employment law with Jones Day in Dallas, New York, Washington, D.C., and London.
- Arbitration Victory in Discrimination and Retaliation Case. Janet tried and won a case in arbitration before a retired judge in which the plaintiff, a former manager of the dealership client, claimed discriminatory discharge, hostile work environment, and retaliation following his termination for documented performance issues.
- Arbitration Victory in Nonsubscriber Case for National Retail Client. Janet tried and won a case in arbitration in which the plaintiffs, family members of a store manager and employee who were shot and killed at work by the manager’s estranged husband, alleged the nonsubscriber employer was negligent in failing to prevent the murders.
Honors & Leadership
- Member, National Association of Women Lawyers
- Member, Dallas Women Lawyers Association
- Member, American Bar Association Labor and Employment Section
- Member, Dallas Bar Association Labor and Employment Section
- Member, Collin County Bar Association
- Labor and Employment attorneys represent four offices1.4.16
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Dallas Lunch & Learn11.9.16
- Dallas Full-Day Seminar8.30.16
- TrendHR Legal Conference, Rockwall, Texas – “ Master Class: FMLA and ADA” and “Transgender and Sexual Orientation Issues in the Workplace”
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers: Current Employment Law Topics, Dallas, Texas
- Transgender Issues in the Workplace - Fisher Phillips Lunch & Learn, Dallas Texas – “ Headwinds on the Horizon”
- "FLSA Administration and Executive Exemptions: Avoiding, Auditing and Correcting Misclassifications." (Webinar)
- The HR Southwest Conference, Fort Worth, Texas – “Pay Now or Pay Later-Do Your Pay Practices Comply with the Law?”
- The HR Southwest Conference, Fort Worth, Texas – “Battling the Workplace Bully”
- HR WebAdvisor Webinar – “Indefinite Leave and Reassignment as Reasonable Accommodations Under the ADA”
- Fisher Phillips One Day, Many Solutions – Employment Law Coast-to-Coast, Dallas, Texas – “Everybody Gets a Trophy: Avoiding Performance Management Mistakes” and “Come See Me When You Can Do Your Job! – Best Practices Related to Employee Leave”
- TrendHR Legal Conference, Rockwall, Texas – “Practical Tips for Managing Employee Leave: ADA, FMLA and Worker’s Comp” and “From Hiring to Firing: Common Mistakes & How to Avoid Them – Recruiting, Hiring, Performance Management, and Terminations”
- Parkland Health & Hospital System, Dallas, Texas – “Managing Employee Leave” ADA, FMLA and Workers’ Compensation”
- Safran USA, Grand Prairie, Texas - Top 10 (and more) Labor and Employment Law Developments
- Fisher Phillips Employment Law Spring Training, Dallas, Texas – “Reasonable Accommodation – Build a Solid Backstop to Reduce Potential Liability”
- Trend HR Legal Conference – Rockwall, Texas – “Managing Unemployment: An Employer’s Guide to Navigating an Unemployment Claim in Texas”
- The Modern Workforce In Transition: Strategies for Employers Handling Transgender and Sexual Identity Issues11.2.15
- Gig Employer Blog10.19.16
- Gig Employer Blog10.12.16
- Gig Employer Blog6.28.16
- Southern Methodist University School of LawJ.D. 1991, cum laude, Order of the Coif
- University of Texas at ArlingtonB.A. 1984
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas