Christopher H. Mills
Chris Mills is a partner in the firm's New Jersey office. For almost 40 years, he has assisted clients in navigating through the maze of labor and employment laws.
Chris has a wide range of experience in virtually every aspect of employment litigation, employment discrimination, workforce reduction, employment-at-will and wrongful termination, traditional labor relations law, affirmative action plans and Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), as well as employee pension and benefit plans.
He has been selected to represent major corporations in class actions under Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and collective claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), and served as lead counsel defending against class-based Age Discrimination and ERISA Claims challenging the conversion of AT&T’s Management Pension Plan to a cash balance formula. He has served as chief collective bargaining negotiator for a number of employers.
Chris joined Fisher Phillips after 12 years of heading what many considered the premier labor and employment boutique law firm in New Jersey, which he joined in 1989. Previously, he had worked as in-house counsel at AT&T for 12 years, where he held a number of labor law positions, completing his service as the company's labor and employment law counsel for its corporate headquarters.
Chris has been elected a Fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers – the highest recognition by an attorney’s colleagues of sustained outstanding performance in the profession, exemplifying integrity, dedication and excellence. He was a Founding Member of the Academy of New Jersey Management Attorneys.
- Engers v. AT&T Corp. & AT&T Management Pension Plan, 428 F. Supp. 2d 213 (D.N.J. 2006)
- Hunter v. Sprint Corp., 346 F. Supp. 2d 113 (D.D.C. 2004)
- Zubi v. AT&T Corp., 219 3d 220 (3d Cir. 2000)
- Samaroo v. Samaroo, 193 F.3d 185 (3d Cir. 1999), cert. denied, 529 U.S. 1062 (2000)
- Sundor Brands Inc. v. NLRB, 168 F.3d 515 (D.C. Cir. 1999), on remand, 334 NLRB 755 (2001), enforcement denied, 2002 U.S. App. LEXIS 22482 (D.C. Cir. 2002)
- McDermott v. Chilton Co., 938 F. Supp. 240 (D.N.J. 1995)
- Chaffee v. Kraft General Foods, Inc., 886 F. Supp. 1164 (D.N.J. 1995)
- Stires v. Sprint Corp., 1995 WL 632077 (D.N.J. 1995)
- Bergfeld v. Muralo Co., Inc. 1993 WL 266799 (D.N.J. 1993)
- Ponzoni v. Kraft General Foods, Inc., 774 F. Supp. 299 (D.N.J. 1991), affd, 958 F.2d 14 (3d Cir. 1992)
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in Who's Who Legal USA
- Listed in New Jersey Super Lawyers since 2005
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America since 2007
- Listed in Chambers USA in 2015
- Best Lawyers in America, "Lawyer of the Year" - Management-side Employment Law, 2013
Chris has spoken frequently at human resources training conferences and continuing legal education seminars for attorneys throughout the country, such as the ALI-ABA program "Employment Discrimination and Civil Rights Actions in Federal and State Courts," and the mid-year meeting of the American Bar Association's Committee on Equal Employment Opportunity Law. He has authored numerous professional articles. While an in-house counsel, he was elected to the Board of Directors of the Equal Employment Advisory Council, a national employers' association. Chris also served as a Judge Advocate General's (JAG) Corps in Navy from 1972-1976.
- Four Named to 2016 New Jersey Super Lawyers List, One to Rising Stars3.11.16
- Four Named to 2015 New Jersey Super Lawyers List, One to Rising Stars3.13.15
- Paid Family Leave: Who Truly Benefits? Origins, Realities and What the Construction Industry Needs to Know10.1.08
- Georgetown UniversityLL.M. (Labor Law) 1975
- Yale Law SchoolJ.D. 1972
- Washington & Lee UniversityB.A., B.S. 1969, magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York