Chris Ahearn is an experienced litigator who is laser-focused on fighting for clients’ rights in a range of lawsuits including complex class actions and multi-party lawsuits. Chris has actual PAGA and class action trial experience. In addition to these large, complicated cases, Chris defends employers in single-plaintiff harassment and discrimination claims in courts and in arbitration. Chris has particularly significant experience representing clients in the transportation (air carriers and motor carriers) and manufacturing sectors, including at trial. Chris’s trial experience guides and informs his approach to litigation, which is to carefully and thoroughly evaluate the merits of a case at an early stage, and to think strategically about every step as a case proceeds, with an eye to improving the chances for a positive outcome at trial. This includes giving direct, well-reasoned advice about opportunities for resolution and settlement as they arise, either at earlier or later stages.
A partner in Irvine, Chris understands that litigation can be expensive and can distract clients from their important business goals. So, his clients rely on his judgment and experience in implementing risk-management measures to avoid claims, and in deciding when, and how, to settle cases.
In addition to his significant litigation practice, Chris has deep experience and knowledge in a variety of federal and California laws. These include laws covering wage and hour, harassment, discrimination, retaliation, employee exemptions and classification. He also assists clients with the Family and Medical Leave Act, the California Family Rights Act, and the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN). He also helps employers develop and implement legally sound employment policies and procedures.
Honors & Leadership
- Member, Transportation Lawyers Association
Chris has represented several clients, pro bono, through La Casa de las Madres, a shelter and community center for domestic violence victims, in relation to requests for restraining orders and claims for damages against perpetrators of abuse.
- Labor and Employment attorneys represent 11 offices1.2.18
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- 2016 Newport Beach Seminar9.15.16
- “Employment Law A-Z”, Lorman Education Services, Oakland, California
- Decision Provides Boost To Gig Economy Businesses9.9.16
- University of California, Berkeley School of LawJ.D. 2005
- Boston CollegeA.B. 1997, magna cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California