Brendan Y. Joy
Brendan Joy is Of Counsel in the Los Angeles office. He represents employers on a wide range of employment issues including claims of harassment, discrimination, retaliation, wrongful termination, wage and hour violations, and other employment related claims in state court, federal court, and administrative agencies. Brendan represents employers in single plaintiff and class action litigation in both state and federal courts, as well as in arbitration and administrative hearings. He also counsels clients on issues ranging from employment contracts, employee handbooks, personnel policies, workplace investigations, to employee discipline and termination. Brendan further provides training to clients on harassment and discrimination.
- As second chair, represented two real estate companies at trial and received a defense verdict on the breach of contract, breach of Implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing claim, promissory fraud, and unfair business practices causes of action. As a result of the defense verdict, the real estate companies were able to recover thousands of dollars in attorney fees as the prevailing party.
- Obtained summary judgment and/or summary adjudication on numerous cases involving claims of breach of contract, wage and hour, discrimination, retaliation, harassment, wrongful termination, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
- Obtained favorable decisions for employers on employees' wage and hour claims at California Division of Labor Standards and Enforcement hearings.
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Southwestern University School of LawJ.D. 2007
- Boston CollegeB.A. 2004, magna cum laude